Advanced Knee Osteoarthritis Exercises
Exercise Plan for those with Osteoarthritis
These are some advanced exercises you can do if you have osteoarthritis. Watch as Logan, our Registered Kinesiologist demonstrates some exercises you can do to enhance joint function, strengthen supporting muscles, and mitigate discomfort.
Single Leg Glute Bridge
- Lay flat on your back, tucking in your feet
- Place your hands on either side of you
- Tuck your pelvis all the way down, making sure your core is nice and straight
- Push off with your right heel, elevate the hips all the way off the ground as high as you can, you should feel this in your right glute
- Hold for 3 seconds then return back to the ground, do this 10 times
- Repeat with your left leg
Single Leg Step Up
- Make sure to focus on your balance for this exercise
- Stand beside a box that’s about 4-8in. above the ground
- Place the leg closest to the box on top of the box
- Align your knee over your toes and place your hands on your hips
- Stand up on your leg that’s on the box and drive your knee up as high as you can
- Step back down
- Repeat this for 3 sets, 10 repetitions or however many makes you comfortable
Single Leg Squat (Pistol Squat)
- Start by having a seat a lower box
- Place your one leg out for stability, the other knee is the one you’re going to be loading
- Make sure your knee is over your toe
- Push off and stand up straight, then return to your seated position
- Repeat this for 3 sets, 10 repetitions per leg but make sure to give yourself enough rest time in between
- Grab the barbell and place it on your upper traps, with your hands shoulder width apart and elbows down and back
- Set the feet and proceed to squat all the way down to parallel and then go all the way back up
- Repeat this for 5 repetitions
Check out the video below to follow along with the exercises in real time.
It's common to hear the statement that running can be harmful and damaging to your joints, especially the hips, and knees, and we should avoid...
Exercise: A Powerful Weapon against Black Pain – The Westcoast SCI Personal Training Approach For years, health professionals have touted the...
This video provides a variety of exercises that can help prepare your body for snow sports like skiing and snowboarding. It is important to prepare...
Don't let tightness in your hip and glute muscles hold you back! Take charge and try these 10 hip stretches to increase your flexibility and improve...
Exercises and Stretches for Strength & Recovery In this guide, Logan, our Kinesiologist & Personal Trainer shows you step-by-step how to...
What is the core? The core is a group of muscles spanning from the trunk to the hips that work together in supporting, stabilizing, and moving the...