A cost-effective drop-in evening exercise class every Thursday for those with Osteoarthritis, focused on promotion of active self-management.
Interested in joining our Osteoarthritis Group Exercise Class?
Book an initial assessment with one of our Physiotherapists to see if this class is right for you!
How will this class help with my Osteoarthritis?
Exercise is recommended by multiple international clinical guidelines as a first line treatment for Hip and Knee Osteoarthritis. Our knowledgable Physiotherapists and Kinesiologists have the time and expertise to deliver therapeutic exercise at a meaningful dosage.
Attending this class is a cost-effective alternative to a high number of healthcare visits and total knee/hip replacements.
Benefits include a decrease in pain, improved physical function and increase in quality of life.
What is the group class like?
- There will be 5 participants in 1 hour long classes led by a physiotherapist with assistance from a kinesiologist
- You will learn load-focused exercises for the lower body with options for regression and progressions depending on your individual needs
- You will gain an understanding of the intensity target for exercise and how to manage flare-ups while continuing to exercise
This class encourages accountability and socialization in our community
Who is eligible?
Each participant must book an Initial Assessment with one of our physiotherapists first to determine eligibility for the class. At this session, your physiotherapist will:
- Medically screen for red flags or contraindications to exercise
- Evaluate your health (including co-morbidities) to inform exercise prescription
- Establish baseline measurements
- Collaborate with you to set meaningful and mutually agreeable goals
- Educate you around osteoarthritis and the role of exercise, ensuring to address fears and misconceptions around it and to emphasize consistent participation over time
How do I sign up?
To determine if this class if right for you, each participant must book an Initial Assessment with one of our physiotherapists for an evaluation.
PER CLASS, BILLABLE TO PHYSIOTHERAPY BENEFITS
Classes will be located at Westcoast SCI Port Coquitlam every Thursday, 6-7pm