Advanced Core Exercises
- On your back, put your legs up in the air, knees bent and your arms up
- While contracting your core, open up at the same time by pushing your legs out while moving your hands backwards
- Don’t let your feet touch the ground (if this is too difficult for you, you can let your feet touch briefly to make it easier)
- Try to avoid letting your shoulders shrug up towards your ears
- Get into plank position with your hands, knees and toes touching the ground
- Raise up onto your toes by lifting your knees off the ground
- Bend your elbows a bit and stay in this plank position
- The more the bend your elbows, the harder this will be
- Think of this position as pulling your toes towards your hands, this will get your core that much more engaged
- Laying on your stomach, lift your thighs off the ground and then bring them back to the ground
- Remember to keep your core engaged especially when you lift your legs off the ground
- This might be challenging if you have a history of lower back problems, if that is the case, you can do this exercise with one leg at a time
Crunch w/ Twist
- Lay on your back with your hands by your sides
- You want to reach up on one side and try to touch the finger tips of the opposite hand
- Return to starting position and repeat with the other side
- Avoid rolling side to side, you want to make sure that when you reach up, your shoulder blade leaves the ground
High Plank w/ Hip Extension
- Get into a push up position with a neutral spine, core engaged
- While staying in that push up position, lift up one leg at a time to get your glutes working a bit more
- To make this more difficult, you can do a slight elbow bend
Side Plank w/ Hip Abduction
50 seconds (switch sides halfway)
- Get in a side plank position, with your elbow directly below your shoulder and your feet touching the ground
- Do some hip abductions by lifting up your top leg and bringing it back down
- To get your gluteus medius engaged, you can have your top leg slightly behind your bottom leg
- Switch to the other side halfway
- Get in position by laying flat on your stomach with your hands and legs out
- Lift your opposite arm to opposite leg and drive your elbow back towards your hip of the arm you’re lifting up
Intermediate Core Exercises If you're looking for a core workout that isn't too advanced or easy, try out our INTERMEDIATE Core Workout!Supine Leg...
How to strengthen your quads This Quad strengthening workout features eccentric movements, this means slow movement downwards, and quick movement...
Easy Core Exercises for Beginners In this blog post, we share how to find your neutral spine (which is key for effective core contraction) as well...
4 Exercises to Help you Jump Higher Thank you to Kiro M. for suggesting we cover this topic on how to increase your vertical jumping. If you have...
Are you finding your pain is limiting your ability to live your life?Do you have an injury and want to get healthy and fit, but don’t know how to...
How do you find the perfect personal trainer?The most important thing that you should look for when hiring a personal trainer in Vancouver is...