9 Minute Intermediate Core Workout
Intermediate Core Exercises
If you’re looking for a core workout that isn’t too advanced or easy, try out our INTERMEDIATE Core Workout!
Supine Leg Kick Out
- On your back, put your legs up in the air, knees bent
- Push out one leg at a time and bring it back to starting position
- Remember to engage through your core, making sure your spine is neutral
- If pushing your leg all the way out is too much, you can keep your knees bent and just tap the floor with your heel
- Get into plank position with your elbows and toes touching the ground
- Again, engage through your core and tighten your stomach, keeping that neutral spine through your back and your neck
- You can imagine it as if there’s a string pulling you up through the top of your head and another string pulling down your tailbone all the way to your heels, so you’re kind of elongating your body as you do this exercise
- On your back, bring your legs up and bent 90 degrees with your arms up in the air
- Drop one arm and the opposite leg down at the same time
- Remember as you drop the limbs, engage through your core, you don’t want you back to arch up off the floor
- If you’re finding a lot of arching is happening, I suggest doing either just legs or just arms
- From your stomach, place your hands out beside you as if you’re going to do a push up
- Arch your chest off the floor and let your arms go up with your upper body as you do this
- As you pull up and your chest is leaving the mat, make sure to exhale
- Remember to keep you neck in neutral position as well
- Get in a crook lying position, on your back with knees bent
- Think about sliding your hands up your knees as if there’s a string pulling your nose straight up in the air, it’s more about trying to lift your shoulders/shoulder blades off the ground
- You can still think about keeping your core engaged, but it’s more about clearing the shoulder blades off the ground rather than crunching through your spine
50 seconds (switch sides halfway)
- Get in a side plank position, with your elbow directly below your shoulder and your feet touching the ground, if this is too challenging you can do this from your knees instead
- Try to keep your body at a perpendicular angle, and engage your core
- Get in position by laying flat on your stomach
- Raise one arm to opposite leg while still engaging your core
- Don’t allow your shoulders to shrug up towards your neck, you want to create a nice big gap between your ears and shoulders
Check out the video below to follow along with the exercises in real time.
How to strengthen your quads This Quad strengthening workout features eccentric movements, this means slow movement downwards, and quick movement...
Easy Core Exercises for Beginners In this blog post, we share how to find your neutral spine (which is key for effective core contraction) as well...
4 Exercises to Help you Jump Higher Thank you to Kiro M. for suggesting we cover this topic on how to increase your vertical jumping. If you have...
Are you finding your pain is limiting your ability to live your life?Do you have an injury and want to get healthy and fit, but don’t know how to...
How do you find the perfect personal trainer?The most important thing that you should look for when hiring a personal trainer in Vancouver is...
How to strengthen your hips and glutes This workout consists of three exercises for your hips and glutes. These exercises will help strengthen your...