Top 5 Ways to Stay in Shape This Summer (Without the Hard Work)
How to Stay Fit This Summer Without Working Out
Are you looking for ways to stay healthy and fit this summer without going to the gym daily? Here are some suggestions that are probably much easier than cardio and lifting weights that you can easily incorporate into your summer activities!
1. Find an activity that you enjoy doing that is also productive
This can mean different things to different people. If you’ve got a green thumb, getting out in your garden, mowing the lawn, weeding, and planting all require you to exert energy that burns calories and keeps you moving.
- When you visit a new place, chances are you will end up walking a lot. The best way to explore a new city is to check it out on foot. Surprisingly, by the end of the day, you’ll find that you’ve walked several thousand steps! Not only will you get to know the place you’re visiting more intimately, you’ll also burn a lot of calories.
- Remember to check your footwear before you travel to make sure you’ve got shoes that fit and that aren’t too worn out. The last thing you need is incurring a walking-related injury while you’re on vacation!
- Dress appropriately. Are you traveling to a hot destination? Visiting the mountains? Make sure you have a light jacket in case the weather changes unexpectedly.
3. Watch what you eat
- It’s really easy when you’re on summer break to forget your healthy eating habits. If you indulge in a heavier meal, try to balance that out by eating something a little lighter and healthier for the following meal. Ideally, you’d eat well for at least 24 hours after a “heavy meal”, but hey, you’re on holiday!
- If you enjoy consuming alcohol, make sure you’re drinking plenty of water, especially if you’re in a hotter climate. A good rule of thumb is to drink a glass of water for each alcoholic drink you have.
4. Try a new summer activity
Have you always wanted to try kayaking, but never got around to it? How about rock climbing or pickle ball? There are so many activities to do in the summer, your options are endless. Grab a friend, find an online community, or get adventurous on your own!
5. Find some downtime for yourself
- When someone mentions being healthy or fit, most people think of the physical attributes of being healthy. However, many people neglect the fact that mental health plays such a vital role in maintaining your overall health. Especially in the past 2 plus years that we’ve been living through the COVID pandemic, economic inflation, and war in Ukraine, it’s really important that you take some mental time off.
- Get off your phone, stay away from news outlets, and don’t go near social media. Getting in touch with the great outdoors is a great way to disconnect. However, if you aren’t blessed to live in beautiful Vancouver, BC, then finding a quiet park or even your backyard can be a quiet peaceful place to just soak it all in.
Health & Wellness
Starting a new running routine is no small feat. Whether you're an aspiring athlete or someone just hoping to elevate their fitness level, embarking...
How Acupuncture Can Enhance the Success of IUI (Intrauterine Insemination)Book an initial assessment today and learn more about how Acupuncture can...
Should I spend more time on cardio or lifting weights? Every fitness journey is unique, and finding the perfect exercise routine can be a...
Do you have a Pinched Nerve or think you might? We can help!Book an appointment with our Physiotherapists in Port Coquitlam.What is a Pinched Nerve...
Overcoming Plateaus Struggling to make progress at the gym can be disheartening, but there are ways to overcome plateaus. In this blog post, we'll...
Do you have Spinal Stenosis or think you might? We can help!Book an appointment with our Physiotherapists in Port Coquitlam.When should you seek...