Mental Health & Exercise (Is there a Link?)
How does being active help with your mental health?
Are you feeling exhausted, overwhelmed, hopeless, or in pain?
Mental health is an important part of your physical health and personal well-being, and regular exercise is one of the most effective ways to improve your mental health.
Did you know?
- Studies have found that a good exercise routine can manage or treat mild to moderate depression as effectively as antidepressant medication (without the side effects)
- It can manage anxiety through release of endorphins
- Manage stress, exercise can relax and relieve muscle tension
- Outdoor exercise and activities such as hiking, biking or skiing have been shown to reduce symptoms of PTSD
- Exercise can also help with memory, sleep, self esteem, and energy
- Start slow, do a little bit at a time, even 5 to 10 minute rounds of exercise at a time counts. Increase intensities at your own pace
- Moderate intensity is enough, you don’t need to be pushing to your absolute limits. Try to reach to a point where you are breathing heavier, can still talk, but probably can’t sing
- Make exercise a social activity. Exercising with someone will make exercising more fun and enjoyable, it can also help motivate you to stick to a workout routine
If you need help getting started, book an appointment online with a Kinesiologist or Physiotherapist, no referral necessary. Not sure where to begin? Give us a call and let us guide you.
Health and Wellness
Introduction Sleep is a vital part of our daily routine, allowing our bodies to rest and rejuvenate. However, for individuals with low back pain,...
Initiating a fitness regimen necessitates careful decision-making, and one of the most vital considerations is your choice of footwear. The perfect...
The Start of your Fitness Journey If you're seeking to make the most out of your fitness journey, you've probably wondered whether it's more...
Running is an incredible way to maintain cardiovascular health, shed a few pounds, and clear the mind. However, as with any physical activity, it...
Starting a new running routine is no small feat. Whether you're an aspiring athlete or someone just hoping to elevate their fitness level, embarking...
How Acupuncture Can Enhance the Success of IUI (Intrauterine Insemination)Book an initial assessment today and learn more about how Acupuncture can...