Mental Health & Exercise (Is there a Link?)
How does being active help with your mental health?
Are you feeling exhausted, overwhelmed, hopeless, or in pain?
Mental health is an important part of your physical health and personal well-being, and regular exercise is one of the most effective ways to improve your mental health.
Did you know?
- Studies have found that a good exercise routine can manage or treat mild to moderate depression as effectively as antidepressant medication (without the side effects)
- It can manage anxiety through release of endorphins
- Manage stress, exercise can relax and relieve muscle tension
- Outdoor exercise and activities such as hiking, biking or skiing have been shown to reduce symptoms of PTSD
- Exercise can also help with memory, sleep, self esteem, and energy
- Start slow, do a little bit at a time, even 5 to 10 minute rounds of exercise at a time counts. Increase intensities at your own pace
- Moderate intensity is enough, you don’t need to be pushing to your absolute limits. Try to reach to a point where you are breathing heavier, can still talk, but probably can’t sing
- Make exercise a social activity. Exercising with someone will make exercising more fun and enjoyable, it can also help motivate you to stick to a workout routine
If you need help getting started, book an appointment online with a Kinesiologist or Physiotherapist, no referral necessary. Not sure where to begin? Give us a call and let us guide you.
Health and Wellness
How do you find the perfect personal trainer?The most important thing that you should look for when hiring a personal trainer in Vancouver is...
Have you experienced more cervical, TMJ and headache symptoms from wearing Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) like masks? It turns out that this is...
What exercises can you do to prepare for pregnancy? Pelvic floor health is important for a huge number of things. One thing that people do not...
Why should you see a physiotherapist? Most people associate physiotherapy with treatment of musculoskeletal injuries in general. However, the scope...
What exercises can you do when pregnant? Disclaimer: during pregnancy you should always be cleared by your doctor prior to starting exercise and...
How to stop regaining weight? There are a lot of different ideas out there about how to lose weight. When you are planning to make a lifestyle...