Mental Health & Exercise (Is there a Link?)
How does being active help with your mental health?
Are you feeling exhausted, overwhelmed, hopeless, or in pain?
Mental health is an important part of your physical health and personal well-being, and regular exercise is one of the most effective ways to improve your mental health.
Did you know?
- Studies have found that a good exercise routine can manage or treat mild to moderate depression as effectively as antidepressant medication (without the side effects)
- It can manage anxiety through release of endorphins
- Manage stress, exercise can relax and relieve muscle tension
- Outdoor exercise and activities such as hiking, biking or skiing have been shown to reduce symptoms of PTSD
- Exercise can also help with memory, sleep, self esteem, and energy
- Start slow, do a little bit at a time, even 5 to 10 minute rounds of exercise at a time counts. Increase intensities at your own pace
- Moderate intensity is enough, you don’t need to be pushing to your absolute limits. Try to reach to a point where you are breathing heavier, can still talk, but probably can’t sing
- Make exercise a social activity. Exercising with someone will make exercising more fun and enjoyable, it can also help motivate you to stick to a workout routine
If you need help getting started, book an appointment online with a Kinesiologist or Physiotherapist, no referral necessary. Not sure where to begin? Give us a call and let us guide you.
Health and Wellness
Overcoming Vertigo and Vestibular Problems: The Role of Physiotherapy
Can Physiotherapy Treat Vertigo and Vestibular conditions? Vertigo and vestibular problems can significantly impact an individual's quality of life,...
Seated Exercises for Seniors
How to stay active as you get older This series is to help older adults stay healthy and safe. These exercises are from the SAIL (Staying Active and...
Westcoast SCI’s Complete Guide to a Full-Body Approach to Wellness
The Importance of Maintaining a Healthy Lifestyle for Your Overall Wellbeing Maintaining a healthy lifestyle is important for your wellbeing. It is...
Top 5 Tips for Staying Healthy This Fall
Get your Health Back on Track! Fall is the perfect time to get your health back on track. With cooler temperatures and changing leaves, it's easier...
Top 5 Fall Prevention Tips for the Elderly
Why Fall Prevention is Important for Seniors Seniors are at a higher risk for falls. The leading cause of death for seniors is falls. This is why...
Top 5 Ways to Stay in Shape This Summer (Without the Hard Work)
How to Stay Fit This Summer Without Working Out Are you looking for ways to stay healthy and fit this summer without going to the gym daily? Here...