6 Healthy Habits for Work & Home
How to stay healthy while working from home?
UNDERSTANDING ERGONOMICS: MAKING YOUR ENVIRONMENT WORK FOR YOU
Health is like a smooth river rock; created by the habit of the river. You can put systems in place in your environment, routines, and life that can create exponential affects over time. Try incorporating some or all of these health tips at home and work and enjoy the benefits of the river!
Two of the places we spend the most time in – work and home – are riddled with opportunities to improve your health in creative ways. Here’s a checklist you can print off and go through casually or in-depth to see the small investments you can implement now that will reap BIG rewards for your health over time.
How to Be Healthier at Work
1) Protect The Neck (avoid a hunchback)
- Keep the screen at eye level
- Neck should be in a neutral position (ears over shoulders)
- Head at a comfortable reading distance
- Rest the forearms on the desk to keep shoulders relaxed
2) Support Your Back
- Lumbar support adjusted to hit the low to mid back
- Thighs should be parallel to the ground
- Seat at knee height
- Use footrest if needed
- Evenly position on both sit bones
3) Save your Wrists (prevent carpal tunnel)
- Wrists lay flat on desk/keyboard
- Keep mouse/tools within easy reach
- Use arm to move mouse. Keep the wrist neutral
- Elbows at desk height
- Try using shortcut keys
4) MIX IT UP
- Move every 30 minutes
- Tilt your chair back a bit or change your posture
- Walk while you talk on the phone
- Have A Stretch
- Reach arms out wide and squeeze shoulder blades
- Bring the ear to the shoulder
- Clench and release fists
- Rotate your torso to grab your armrest with the opposite arm
- For more stretching ideas see Westcoast SCI therapists
How to Be Healthier at Home
- Avoid long periods of sitting still
- When watching TV, do chores in the commercial breaks
- Do not sit for prolonged periods in bed, always in in a proper chair
- Think about wearing proper footwear so your feet don’t hurt by the end of the day
- Add a 10-minute stretch to your morning or evening routine
- Use golf balls, tennis balls, lacrosse balls or rolling pins to roll out tight muscles
- Plans meals ahead of time to avoid eating things you shouldn’t
- Use proper form when lifting heavy objects or ask for help
- For instruction on how to lift properly see Westcoast SCI therapists
2) Night Time (Getting a proper sleep will affect every aspect of your health)
- Don’t drink lots of fluid rights before bed
- Keep a consistent evening routine
- Create a dark, cool and reasonably quiet environment
- Do not use more than one pillow under your head
- Support your back while you sleep
- Use a good, comfortable pillow
- If you sleep on your back, put a pillow under your knees
- If you sleep on your side, put a pillow between your knees
- Avoid screens right before you sleep
Health and Wellness
Overcoming Vertigo and Vestibular Problems: The Role of Physiotherapy
Can Physiotherapy Treat Vertigo and Vestibular conditions? Vertigo and vestibular problems can significantly impact an individual's quality of life,...
Seated Exercises for Seniors
How to stay active as you get older This series is to help older adults stay healthy and safe. These exercises are from the SAIL (Staying Active and...
Westcoast SCI’s Complete Guide to a Full-Body Approach to Wellness
The Importance of Maintaining a Healthy Lifestyle for Your Overall Wellbeing Maintaining a healthy lifestyle is important for your wellbeing. It is...
Top 5 Tips for Staying Healthy This Fall
Get your Health Back on Track! Fall is the perfect time to get your health back on track. With cooler temperatures and changing leaves, it's easier...
Top 5 Fall Prevention Tips for the Elderly
Why Fall Prevention is Important for Seniors Seniors are at a higher risk for falls. The leading cause of death for seniors is falls. This is why...
Top 5 Ways to Stay in Shape This Summer (Without the Hard Work)
How to Stay Fit This Summer Without Working Out Are you looking for ways to stay healthy and fit this summer without going to the gym daily? Here...