4 Stretches to Help Reduce Back Pain
Best stretches for back pain
It’s easy to forget to stretch. It’s often overlooked because the results are not as visible as lifting weights and squatting—or so you thought. Stretching can lead to better posture, fewer aches and pains, greater confidence, and a cheerier outlook on life.
Your thoracic spine, which is located in the middle of your back, is very important to stretch and keep moving. Simple rotational stretches throughout the day are extremely important if you drive, sit, or just stay in one place for a few hours of the day, Hahamian says. Here are four stretches to keep your back strong and healthy.
Stretching Global Flexion
1. Get on your hands and knees (four point position) with your knees directly under your hips and your hands directly under your shoulders
2. Your back must be in a neutral position (slightly arched) and your chin must be tucked in
3. Sit backwards towards your heels by lowering your buttocks
4. Maintain the stretch and return to the initial position
Hold 30sec x 3sets.
1. Lie on your stomach with your elbows on the floor and the chin tucked in or resting in your hands
2. Relax both your back and buttock muscles and maintain the position
3. Your hips must be touching the floor
10reps x 3sets
Knees to Chest
1. Lie on your back with your knees bent
2. Lift knees towards your chest and pull it as far as you can with your hands
3. Now pull your knees towards your chest as far as you can to flatten your lower back
Hold for 30sec, repeat 3x/da
1. Lie on your back with your knees bent and your feet on the floor (crook lying)
2. Place your arms out to the side for stability
3. Slowly lower your legs to one side until you feel a gentle stretch
4. Return to central position and repeat
5. Keep your knees together during the movement
Repeat as much as you like to stretch your back
How can I build my body without weights? These exercises combine variations of movements to maximize their effectiveness for your body. Each...
Do I need to train my hamstrings? Training your hamstrings is important because they are used very frequently in daily life, from bending your knees...
The first in our monthly Health, Wellness, and Fitness series, we will be going throughout the body and telling you all you need to know about an...
What can I do to relieve knee pain?The first in our monthly Physiotherapy series, we will be going throughout the body and telling you all you need...
How to fix shoulder pain? Why scapular stability is important Your shoulder joint does not act in isolation to create movement in your arm. The...
How can I improve my shoulder overhead mobility? The shoulders are the most mobility joint in the body. The shoulder is made with a “ball in socket...