3 Bodyweight Hamstring Exercises (Minimal Equipment Required)
Do I need to train my hamstrings?
Training your hamstrings is important because they are used very frequently in daily life, from bending your knees to walking and running. If your hamstrings are weak, it can cause back, knee or even foot pain.
Here are 3 bodyweight hamstring exercises that you can do at home, minimal equipment required! For a more detailed explanation of each exercise, check out our YouTube video here or below!
Reverse Hamstring Curls
- Find something solid to anchor your feet. Most people can use the space under their bed
- Kneel on a cushion (if needed for comfort)
- Slowly lower your body to the ground (keep your hands in front of you for safety)
- Try to keep your body as straight as you can by bracing your core
- Catch yourself with your hands and “push yourself back up”
- On a hardwood floor, place a small towel under each foot. Alternatively, you can use carpeted floors and place your feet on plastic plates (If you have kids, you’ll have them!)
- Start in the “bridge position”: on your back with your buttocks off the ground
- Brace your core
- Slowly straighten out your knees, keeping your buttocks off the floor
- Now spread your legs apart as wide as possible.
- Bring your feet back together
- Bend your knees to resume the “bridge position”
- Start in the bridge position
- Brace your core
- Slowly walk one foot out at a time
- Try to take about 4 steps to get to nearly a straight knee.
- Make sure you’re keeping your buttocks off the ground
- Slowly walk your way back up to the starting position
Check out the video below for a more detailed explanation of each exercise as well as some useful tips!
Lower Back and Hip Stretches Sometimes, you want to lie down and let your muscles relax. You want to work in the garden, but your back is saying no....
How do I build my lower body muscles? Plyometric exercises are powerful aerobic exercises that can be used to increase your speed, endurance, and...
Do wall squats build muscle? Wall squats are a compound exercise because it works multiple muscle groups, so you are gaining a lot for the work you...
Why is TRX Suspension Training unique? Including TRX Suspension Trainers changes exercise into a challenge for your core. Gravity and bodyweight are...
Different kinds of push ups We are going to be moving away from a standard push up to activate more muscles in your body in this post. A simple...
How can I build my body without weights? These exercises combine variations of movements to maximize their effectiveness for your body. Each...