3 Bodyweight Hamstring Exercises (Minimal Equipment Required)
Do I need to train my hamstrings?
Training your hamstrings is important because they are used very frequently in daily life, from bending your knees to walking and running. If your hamstrings are weak, it can cause back, knee or even foot pain.
Here are 3 bodyweight hamstring exercises that you can do at home, minimal equipment required! For a more detailed explanation of each exercise, check out our YouTube video here or below!
Reverse Hamstring Curls
- Find something solid to anchor your feet. Most people can use the space under their bed
- Kneel on a cushion (if needed for comfort)
- Slowly lower your body to the ground (keep your hands in front of you for safety)
- Try to keep your body as straight as you can by bracing your core
- Catch yourself with your hands and “push yourself back up”
- On a hardwood floor, place a small towel under each foot. Alternatively, you can use carpeted floors and place your feet on plastic plates (If you have kids, you’ll have them!)
- Start in the “bridge position”: on your back with your buttocks off the ground
- Brace your core
- Slowly straighten out your knees, keeping your buttocks off the floor
- Now spread your legs apart as wide as possible.
- Bring your feet back together
- Bend your knees to resume the “bridge position”
- Start in the bridge position
- Brace your core
- Slowly walk one foot out at a time
- Try to take about 4 steps to get to nearly a straight knee.
- Make sure you’re keeping your buttocks off the ground
- Slowly walk your way back up to the starting position
Check out the video below for a more detailed explanation of each exercise as well as some useful tips!
The first in our monthly Health, Wellness, and Fitness series, we will be going throughout the body and telling you all you need to know about an...
What can I do to relieve knee pain?The first in our monthly Physiotherapy series, we will be going throughout the body and telling you all you need...
How to fix shoulder pain? Why scapular stability is important Your shoulder joint does not act in isolation to create movement in your arm. The...
How can I improve my shoulder overhead mobility? The shoulders are the most mobility joint in the body. The shoulder is made with a “ball in socket...
Best stretches for back pain? Do you have lower back pain or neck pain? Shoulder pain when lifting objects overhead? Or have slumped shoulders when...
What can you do to relieve back pain? Chronic back pain is one of the most common and expensive medical conditions, that is estimated to cost 100...